If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to be eco-friendly in the kitchen, one of the best things you can do is to choose cast iron cookware. Not only will it last for centuries (if you care for it properly), but its non-stick, non-Teflon surface is eco-friendly too! Here are some of the benefits of cast iron:
- Saves you money: Because it’s so versatile, you don’t have to buy as much cookware!
- Healthy: Cast iron leaches small amounts of iron into the food being cooked – but that’s usually a good thing. You get added nutrients each time you use it. Extra iron helps to produce red blood cells and prevent anemia, and is especially beneficial to women in their child bearing years.
- More efficient: Because cast iron retains heat better, you don’t have to use as much energy to cook your food. Also, cast iron pans distribute heat more evenly than traditional cookware
- Long-lasting: Cast iron pans, unlike today’s automobiles, are made to last a lifetime. Longer lasting means less waste!
- Naturally Non-stick: Cast iron provides an easy-to-use non-stick surface that doesn’t have all the chemicals found in Teflon. Also, you don’t have to use non-stick sprays to cook your food!
- Easy to clean: There’s no need to use soap to clean cast iron, so you can avoid using any of the harmful chemicals found in detergent. (Clean it with hot water and a sponge, dry carefully, and coat with a little oil.)
- Multi-purpose: Since it’s so versatile, one cast iron skillet can serve as your casserole pan, searing pan, cornbread pan and griddle, and one Dutch Oven takes the place of a large bread pan, soup and stock pot, and deep fryer. Also, since it’s so long lasting, you’ll never have to buy any cookware to replace it!
- Cook anywhere: Cast iron can be used on the stovetop, in the oven, on the grill, or over a campfire.